This article explains how to manually install the server-side components when it is not possible to utilize ApexSQL Recover installer or when server-side components need to be installed on the passive cluster node.
When ApexSQL Recover is installed in a cluster environment, the server-side components cannot be installed on the passive nodes. To perform the installation of server-side components in an environment that prevents installation from the ApexSQL installation wizard, the following steps need to be done:
- If old server-side components already exist on the target node, uninstall them and delete the remaining files from the ApexSQL Recover ‘Binn’ folder from this location: C:\ProgramData\ApexSQL\ApexSQLRecover\<Instance_Name>\Binn\
- Install ApexSQL Recover to any other available system that doesn’t require manual installation – default installation does the trick
- From the ApexSQL Recover installation folder (default location is C:\Program Files\ApexQL\ApexSQL Recover 2014), copy ApexSQLRecoverXprocsx64.dll or ApexSQLRecoverXprocsx86.dll file, depending of the system architecture (x64 or x86), to the target SQL server ‘Binn’ folder (default ‘Binn’ folder location is C:\Program Files\MicrosoftSQL\<Instance_Name>\MSSQL\Binn)
- Rename the copied file to ApexSQLRecoverXprocs.dll
Run the following install script on the target SQL server:
IF NOT EXISTS ( SELECT * FROM master.dbo.sysobjects WHERE NAME = 'xp_ApexSQLRecover' ) EXEC master.dbo.sp_addextendedproc 'xp_ApexSQLRecover' ,'ApexSQLRecoverXprocs.DLL'
Copy following files from the ApexSQL Recover installation folder to the target SQL server machine folder:
Note: In case you are installing to default server instance (MSSQL), the ‘(local)’ must be used in place of the ‘<instance name> ‘ (e.g. C:\ProgramData\ApexSQL\ApexSQLRecover\(local)\Binn\)
The files list:ApexSQL.Activation.dll
ApexSQLLogCorex64.dll or ApexSQLLogCorex86.dll (depending on the architecture)
ApexSQLRecoverServerHelperx64.exe or ApexSQLRecoverServerHelperx86.exe (depending on the architecture)
The following files that have just been copied need to be renamed (depending on the system architecture):
- ApexSQLLogCorex64.dll or ApexSQLLogCorex86.dll should be renamed to ApexSQLRecoverCore.dll
ApexSQLRecoverServerHelperx64.exe or ApexSQLRecoverServerHelperx86.exe should be renamed to ApexSQLRecoverServerHelper.exe
This enables ApexSQL Recover to audit target SQL server and concludes the manual installation process.