This article explains how to deploy, configure and add SQL Server Failover clustered instances for auditing.
Identify all cluster nodes of the virtual SQL Server instance that will be audited. Identify the currently active node as well as any passive nodes in the same cluster. The ApexSQL Audit service must be deployed on each node in the same cluster.
To deploy and install the ApexSQL Audit service on cluster nodes:
- Ensure that there is an ApexSQL Audit central instance installed and running. If not, install the ApexSQL Audit central instance first. More details can be found in Installing ApexSQL Audit
- Select the account that will be used for the ApexSQL Audit service for each cluster node.
- Verify that this account can access the computer where the ApexSQL Audit central service is installed. Additionally make sure that this account belongs to the Administrators group on each node. More details can be found in ApexSQL Audit – Permissions and requirements
- Deploy the ApexSQL Audit installation file to each cluster node
Run the installer and select the Install server-side components in the first step of the installation wizard and press the Next button
- After short processing, installation will complete. To ensure that the installed ApexSQL Audit service is up and running, run the Services from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools and confirm that ApexSQL Audit service is started
- Repeat step 4 to 6 for each cluster node
Start ApexSQL Audit GUI and press Add server in the “Configure” pane
In the “Server” field, use drop menu to choose or manually type the name or IP address of the cluster and click “Add”
Hover mouse pointer over the warning text too see the list of all nodes detected for that virtual SQL Server instance
Provide credentials (Windows administrator), choose temporary files location and configure advanced options. Click “OK’ when finished
The virtual SQL Server instance (cluster) is now added for auditing and it can be configured seen in the “Servers” pane. Upon hovering on the virtual SQL Server name, server nodes will be shown in the tooltip
Now that the server is added, the only remaining task is to configure auditing filters and commence auditing
ApexSQL Audit auditing instance can be deployed and installed remotely on one or multiple machines. For details, please read Remote installation of ApexSQL Audit auditing instance (service)
Adding the virtual SQL Server instance for auditing: